Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Workshop - Days 12-16 "It's just like a little house!"

For some reason, when I show a picture of my completely framed workshop, the first thing that I hear is: "it's just like a little house!"

I spent a few more half days getting the framing completed, and then I got stalled by a paperwork mix-up. Originally, the workshop was supposed to be under the same building permit as our house. Late in the renovation, however, I discovered that for some reason the workshop had been dropped from the permit.

The contractor was good and got me a separate building permit for my workshop. Of course, this new permit doesn't have any record of any inspections against it, so when I called in for my framing inspection, I was told that I still had to have my excavation and shoring inspected. Given that the foundation is poured and the workshop built, this could be a wee bit challenging. However our contractor stepped up again and had his engineer come out and do the inspection.

Now I've got a letter from the engineer saying my workshop has a proper foundation and has been properly built, so I can move on to getting the shingles and siding on. All it cost me was a two week delay. (But that wasn't so bad because I had to get the boat ready for haul-out).

No comments: